By Will Ashton
After having a stunning opening last week, Frozen made its way to the number one spot this weekend, killing The Hunger Games: Catching Fire‘s winning streak.
In its second weekend, Frozen was able to earn $31.6 million, bringing its total to $134.2 million. The Hunger Games sequel is not complaining in second, though, as the film was able to pull in a solid $27 million, making its domestic gross a whopping $336.6 million.
Out of the Furnace, the only new wide release of the weekend, meanwhile, came in third in its debut with $5 million. With a budget of $22 million, it’s got a little ways to go before making back its gross.
Coming out in limited release was also Inside Llewyn Davis, the new Coen brothers movie, which earned $402,000 in just four theaters.
Next week sees the releases of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and A Madea’s Christmas in wide release and Saving Mr. Banks and American Hustle in limited. We’ll have to come back next week to see how much change they all make, especially The Hobbit.
Check out the full box office below:
1. Frozen $31.6 million $134.2 million
2. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire $27 million $336.6 million
3. Out of the Furnace $5.3 million $5.3 million
4. Thor: The Dark World $4.7 million $193.6 million
5. Delivery Man $3.7 million $24.8 million
6. Homefront $3.3 million $15.2 million
7. The Book Thief $2.7 million $12 million
8. The Best Man Holiday $2.6 million $67.2 million
9. Philomena $2.2 million $8.2 million
10. Dallas Buyers Club $1.4 million $12.4 million