By Will Ashton
Well, color me surprised. Returning again to the number one spot was Frozen, beating the first wide release of 2014, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones.
The Disney animated returns to the number one, beating The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, which has been in the number one spot for the past three weeks, earning a strong $20 million. I knew people were loving this movie, but I still didn’t expect this film to return back to the number one spot.
What’s even more incredible about this is that this is the seventh week the Disney movie has been in release, which is pretty much unprecedented.
Meanwhile, the Paranormal Activity spin-off came in second with $18.2 million. While I’m sure the studio was hoping/expecting more, considering the budget was only $5 million, I doubt Paramount is complaining too much.
Meanwhile, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug came in third place with $16.2 million, making its domestic total thus far $229.6 million.
Next week sees only the wide release of The Legend of Hercules, which One Chance also coming out in limited. Will Hercules take the number one spot? Who knows at this point.
Check out the full box office below:
Weekend: Domestic total:
1. Frozen $20.7 million $297.8 million
2. Paranormal Activity $18.2 million $18.2 million
3. The Hobbit $16.2 million $229.6 million
4. The Wolf of Wall Street $13.4 million $63.3 million
5. American Hustle $13.2 million $88.7 million
6. Anchorman 2 $11.1 million $109.2 million
7. Saving Mr. Banks $9 million $59.3 million
8. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty $8.2 million $45.7 million
9. The Hunger Games $7.4 million $407.5 million
10. Grudge Match $5.4 million $25.0 million